How often should I go to the gym?

Home / JC PERSONAL TRAINING / How often should I go to the gym?

It’s a question we all ask ourselves. Should I be going more? Should I hold off a few days so I can recover before I attack the machines again? We all have our own routines when it comes to going down to the gym, and it really only depends on the goals you have set yourself – this affects the type of training you would be doing.

If your goal is to build more muscle, and to get those arms to a adequate size in order for the “This way to beach” flex to pay off, then you should really be aiming to train 5-6 days a week for around 1-1.5 hours per session. This allows you the perfect amount of time to focus on all the different muscle groups, giving you the opportunity to take care of each one.

For you HIIT trainers, who are looking to burn body fat and lose weight, then 4-5 days a week at roughly 25 minutes per session would be the answer to your ‘leaning-up’ objectives.

You always get the people who see time spent at the gym as an indication of what kind of worker you are, but this could not be further from the truth. Training for 3 hours at a time becomes counter-productive and although you’re bound to feel the burn afterwards, the term ‘overtraining’ comes to mind; your body will get used your routine. It is key to train smart when looking to change aspects of your body – shock your muscles into something they’re not used to, and vary your workouts. Don’t fall in love with the bench press and run to it with lustful eyes every time you start your session. Try something new and soon you’ll be seeing results.

If you’re a beginner, it is important to not set your bar too high (metaphorically speaking). Be realistic in your training frequency. Maybe try heading to the gym 2-3 times a week to start with, and gradually increase your visits the more you get used to exercising.

Lastly, it is vital that you remember that changing your appearance doesn’t start and end between the four walls at the gym. 30% is exercise and the remaining 70% has to be the focus on your diet and lifestyle in general. Keep eating well, matching your gym visits to your goals in mind and soon you’ll be noticing those changes in the mirror!

How often do you go to gym? Or do you worry you go too little? Leave a comment below!

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

image1 (2)